Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
LEMON POPPY SEED CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE
Cooking spray (for pan)
1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon. pure vanilla extract
2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup buttermilk (or sour cream)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons unwashed poppy seeds
(CREAM CHEESE FROSTING)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Lemon Slices, for garnish
1/2 cup (1 full stick) Butter, softened
5 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 (8-oz) blocks cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Lemon zest, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9-x-13” baking pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease pan (preferably with cooking spray). In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Pour in the buttermilk and lemon juice and mix until fully incorporated. Add lemon zest and and poppy seeds and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake until slightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt and beat until smooth.
- Frost cake with frosting and garnish with lemon slices and zest.